Project Name: Carlton House
Location: Maynooth, Co Kildare
Project Description: Demolition and Conservation Repairs to Listed Building
Tender Value: £1.05M
Out Turn Cost: £1.2M
Detailed Description of the Project:
In 1739 the 19th Earl of Kildare employed Richard Castles to build the existing house currently a Grade A Listed Heritage Structure.
During 2005 McCallan Bros Ltd where employed to carry out the recorded furniture removal, the internal soft strip, selective internal demolitions, excavation and installation of a complete new internal drainage system, conservational construction of door and window openings using reclaimed brick and Pitch Pine timber heads.
The works also involved soft strip and demolition of the outbuildings to form the proposed leisure and spa facilities for the Hotel. Also external excavations to form a new service under the tunnel for the hotel, 350m long, running under existing listed structures within the estate, which in turn required refurbishment.
Conservation works included:
- Stonework Surveys: Including detailed marking up condition assessment of the stonework on drawings
- Analysis of original mortar and stone types
- Specification lime mortar for repointing including sources of materials and method of preparation
- Sourcing quarry of the original stone type
- On site supervision of stonework repairs